I don't mean to offend. It's probably going to happen anyway.

Monday, December 3, 2012

Seahorses

I know not everyone shares my fascination with fish, but I daresay it would take a hard heart not to appreciate this. In the past few days, one of my dwarf seahorses gave birth. I saw one first last night as I was turning off the light, and have found two more since.

Dwarf seahorses live up to their name. They are all of an inch long tip to tail full grown. As you can perhaps imagine, the fry are significantly smaller. I can't say with certainty, but it looks for the moment like they are less than 8mm long. Based on relative sizing there's no way they popped out of dad that size, so at a guess I'd say they are 2-5 days old. I'll monitor their growth over the next few days and try to find a trend line.

These things are obscenely cute.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment, but please be respectful. I reserve the right to delete any comment at any time for any reason, but I don't anticipate having to do that. Let's try to have real discussions?