I don't mean to offend. It's probably going to happen anyway.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Immobilizers

There is a mantra in the sci-fi novel Dune by Frank Herbert called the Litany Against Fear.

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."

The people who committed the acts of evil 12 years ago today were well aware of this principle, if unlikely that they have actually read any Herbert. Fear as a mind killer is a potent impulse against action.

Fear is hardly the only emotion with a soporific effect. Despair and grief are perhaps even more potent in the likelihood that the sufferer will simply be unable to get anything done.

To grieve still 12 years later does no good. Never forget those who died and suffered. Let their lives stand as witness against the evils that make such acts possible. But do not allow your will to be subsumed by negativity, such that this evil can continue unchecked.


It is a great disservice to the memory of the people who died to sit back in hand wringing despair. Honor their memory by doing what you can to prevent it from happening to you. Learn to protect yourself, examine your principles, act towards your own security.

As for you, Mr. President, I would advise you to be very careful of the people you would have us call friends. Syria is in terrible shape, but as Associate Justice of the Supreme Court Felix Frankfurter said after the Deshaney v. Winnebago Social Services case, there are times when the Constitution does not provide a cure for the evils of the world.

On a related note, treason is constitutionally defined. "Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort." I don't know how you consider that, but helping Al Qaeda, the supposed great enemy of the last 12 years, in the overthrow of Syria seems to me to be a dangerous road, and one that could end very badly for you. Reflect long and hard on what you're allowed to do, since you have proven yourself incapable of doing what you should do.

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy's enemy. I'd consider that notion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment, but please be respectful. I reserve the right to delete any comment at any time for any reason, but I don't anticipate having to do that. Let's try to have real discussions?