I don't mean to offend. It's probably going to happen anyway.

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Possum Cops

Alternative title 'WHO pulled you over?'

I am currently in a hotel room in an undisclosed location en route to an even less disclosed location for Blogorado. Despite a rather terrible cold, I picked Gay Cynic up at the airport and we drove on to meet up with everybody's favorite copper headed copper, Lawdog.

While the company alone would make it an interesting night, a pair of events on the road lent a somewhat surreal tone to the evening.

Before tonight, I had never been pulled over by the police. I am a careful, safe driver overall, and I try to stay in the good graces of the Boys in Blue.

Now I have been pulled over twice.

Earlier this week, I went to a Jiffy Lube. The guys there came in at one point looking rather confused. They had run my plate, and come up with a 2002 Nissan Maxima. While I do drive a 2002 vehicle, a Dodge Dakota does not jive well with Nissan Maxima.

Considering the newness of the truck (to me at least) I chalked it up to an old record lingering in the Jiffy Lube system and went on my merry way.

Imagine my surprise when the first cop to pull me over came up and said my license should have belonged to, you guessed it, a 2002 Nissan Maxima.

It eventually transpired that Illinois does something weird, imagine that. All personal trucks are licensed as 'B Trucks'. As such, in order to run the plate, you have to add B to the end. This is not known to anyone outside of Illinois, and isn't well known in the state either.

Illinois is weird.

The second stop came about half an hour later. Once again the red and blues go off in the rear view, and I pull over expecting the same issue again.

Up walks a guy in a green uniform, who tells me that the license plate holder is obstructing the state name on the plate. (I looked later, and about the top third of the 'I' and the very tips of the ls were covered)

Gay Cynic enquired as to which agency he worked with, to which he replied 'The Federal Forestry Service'.

Did you know the forestry service can pull people over on a state highway during a government shutdown? Apparently they can't, according to the esteemed Lawdog. He, being the gentleman and scholar he is, has done a bit of looking to see what was going on there. Apparently things are not making sense as they should. I am somewhat curious to see how that all plays out.

In the meantime, I'm on my way to blogorado and Life is Good. 


*Names will be links once I get on my computer proper.*

2 comments:

  1. Hmm. Well that's...interesting. Glad you are getting to spend some time with my favorite people. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um... weird. I got pulled over by an Indian territory officer once. That was interesting. I have some pretty good got-pulled-over stories next time we're sitting around in the same company.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment, but please be respectful. I reserve the right to delete any comment at any time for any reason, but I don't anticipate having to do that. Let's try to have real discussions?